Enjoy plenty of space for R&R while overlooking a very picturesque section of the Shenandoah Valley. Skyview's large and well furnished rustic great room and four bedrooms provide guests a lovely getaway. Its wood burning fireplace, picture windows, private decks, pretty sunsets, and location near the top of this Blue Ridge Mountain easily puts up to eight adults on cloud 9. There are scenic trails nearby, and it can also be a good base for touring many areas of Jefferson and Loudoun Counties.
Only 90 minutes from DC and Baltimore, enjoy great mountain and valley views at this mountain retreat with central air and heat and good Comcast internet. The first floor has a large great room with wood burning fireplace, vaulted ceiling, skylights, and picture windows to take in the scenic views of the Shenandoah River Valley, beautiful sunsets, and stars.
The kitchen, dining table, and living area are all in the great room. The open kitchen is partially separated from the living area by the large brick fireplace. Some seasoned firewood is provided during cold months.
The living area has two large couches, which can comfortably seat eight, a coffee table, a 42" LCD Roku TV w/ Xfinity HD cable, and two armchairs. The dining table comfortably seats eight adults.
The newly updated kitchen has an electric range, dishwasher, microwave, toaster, garbage disposal, refrigerator, blender, 12 cup coffee maker, percolator, and a Keurig (some k-cups are provided). There are enough plates, silverware, glasses, and wine glasses to serve eight. There is a large assortment of pots, pans, bakeware, and mixing bowls. The kitchen area has a fixed island table with four stools.
The four bedrooms are all located off of the great room; two on each side. The three king bedrooms each have a 32" LCD TV with Xfinity HD cable. The fourth bedroom has two twin beds. The beds are made and ready for you and your guests to sleep well.
The master bedroom has a full bath with walk-in shower. The remaining bedrooms share the second full bath, which has a bathtub shower. Each has soap, shampoo, a hair dryer, some hand-towels and washcloths. Bath towels are provided for each guest. Extra bath towels are provided for stays of three nights or longer.
The rear of the house has three decks. Two decks are covered, screened, and accessed via the rear bedrooms. The main deck has a propane grill. Propane is provided. All three decks face west and overlook the Shenandoah Valley.
The basement has a pool table, washer, dryer, iron, ironing board, and a half bath. The basement is naturally on the cool side. Other than playing pool or needing to do laundry, all other activities are upstairs. The driveway has a basketball hoop (guests need to bring their own basketball).
The house is located along the top of the Shannondale community. Shannondale started as a weekend retreat for DC residents in the 50s. It is a serene community, and there is plenty to do nearby.
Activities near Skyline Retreat:
- For a nice Appalachian Trail hike, drive 6 miles to Keys Gap, which has a little parking area right off of Route 9 near the VA-WV state line. Walk north (away from Rt. 9) to the Loudoun Heights overlook area. The roundtrip hike is approximately 9 miles.
- For a scenic walking path, drive 2.5 miles (6 minutes) to the Shannondale Springs Wildlife Management Area, which has several walking trails. The river and meadow trail starts to the left of the river access at the end of the parking area. It is a nice two mile roundtrip walk. Fishing is also available, but a fishing license is required.
- For scenic hiking or biking, drive 7 miles (20 minutes) to Rolling Ridge Private Preserve. It has several trails ranging from easy to difficult. It is free and open to the public, but you must sign-in and sign a waiver to use the trails.
- Historic Charles Town (8 miles / 18 minute drive). Stroll around the grounds of the beautiful and historic Zion Episcopal Church. Head to Abolitionist Ale Works for a nice selection of craft beers.
- Harpers Ferry National Park and other activities in the historic lower town (12 miles / 26 minute drive).
- Lots of Virginia wineries are within a 20-25 minute drive of Skyview.
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, USA