Far from human habitation and deep within the wraps of forest smells, sounds and freshness lay the cottages of Kalinga Mane. These breathing spaces cater to beautiful sights of rainforest wilderness from the comforts of cozy beds, hot water showers, and sumptuous healthy food and beverage. Join our naturalists for herping, night walks, stream walks(swimming), mountain treks, and wildlife photography. This environmental education center is as much a learning space as it is a relaxing sojourn.
This is an environmental education center where guests, students, visitors from various backgrounds are welcome. The dining area is common for all and makes for a good mix of discussions and interactions.
Cost in inclusive of 3 meals(breakfast, lunch and dinner and coffee/tea twice a day). Meal times are fixed and common for all. Both veg and non-veg food is served. Guests must have meals during meal times at the shared dining area.
Being around 4.5 km away from the main roads the access path to the location involves traveling on rugged roads which will be slightly bumpy and will pass through the forests. During the rainy season (June to Sept) some distance may have to be covered only by foot. Also, access to the place requires descending and ascending a flight of rugged steps to reach the cottages. We do not have street or path lights or any extra lights (apart from the basic ones at the usable spaces like cottages, dining hall, kitchen, etc) around the campus. This is in view of not disturbing the nocturnal wildlife around. Guests need to carry their own torches.
• Bonfire and loud music are prohibited in view of avoiding any disturbance to animals.
• Handling, agitating, or disturbing any wildlife will warrant strict action
• Collection of any kind of flora or fauna is not permitted
• Exercise caution, control, and care during observation and photography in the forest to avoid stressing species or exposing them to danger
• Respect the culture and sentiments of locals.
• Kindly avoid carrying plastics and in case it is unavoidable we request that you carry back plastic waste with you. E.g. Pet bottles, plastic bags, etc.
• Room service is not available.
• Consumption of alcohol is not permitted
• Smoking is permitted only at designated spots.
Please understand that this is an environmental education center and not a resort.
• We are equipped with Solar Power as well as grid power(which usually only works during non-monsoon seasons).
• Telephone and internet are strictly meant for office use.
• The closest ATM and Pharmacy are 10km away.
• Hospitals: Melige hospital at Thirthahalli (24km)and Manipal hospital at Manipal (62km)
• Please carry fully charged batteries for your cameras, torches, laptops and other equipment. Having spare ones will help.
• Everyone is expected to wash their own plates, glasses, and tea-cups after every meal.
• To help us manage the waste we encourage you to separate organic and inorganic wastes and use the respective dustbins. Please carry all inorganic waste back with you.
• Please take care of your belongings and ensure to keep your cameras and other electronic equipment dry.
THINGS TO CARRY:
• A good torch- (If you have a head torch it would be useful but not necessary)
• Personal medical kit
• Batteries (For your torch and other equipment)
• Good pair of shoes
• Slippers(flip flops)
• Dull coloured clothes (No camouflaged, olive or khaki coloured clothes or bags; colours like black, grey, brown, blue )
• Rain-coat and Umbrella (Best to be prepared)
• Gum boots
• Sleeping bag
• Leech socks
• Big plastic bags to keep your clothes as they may become damp due to mist.
• Rain gear for your cameras
MUST DO AT Kalinga Mane
Hike up the Akki-Batha raashi Gudda.
Swim in the pristine forest stream
Walk forest trails with our naturalist
Look for Flying Lizards(Draco)
Explore the nocturnal world in our night trails
Go herping, bird watching, butterfly watching, tree walks, amphibian walks
Get creative with wildlife photography
Relax quietly by the pond.
Relax in the dining hall with books from our library.
*Jogi Gundi waterfalls
Sunset point of Agumbe
The Agumbe Ghats
Kavimane and Kavishaila, Kuppali
Sita Nadi nature camp
*Prior permission from Forest Department is mandatory
Guddekeri, Karnataka, India